The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
N/A This is a new alert
Time of issue: 10:42 PM
Date of issue: 21 October 2018
Bushfire ADVICE for MINYIRR RESERVE in the SHIRE OF BROOME
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people in or near the area bordered by Gubinge Road, Port Drive and Gantheaume Point Road in MINYIRR in the SHIRE OF BROOME.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started near the intersection of GANTHEAUME POINT RD and GUBINGE RD in MINYIRR.
- It is burning in an easterly direction towards GUBINGE ROAD
WHAT TO DO:
Smoke is affecting the following areas:
CABLE BEACH, BROOME NORTH, BILINGURR AND ROEBUCK ESTATE
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
- Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Read through your bushfire survival plan.
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Gantheume Point Road has been closed.
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au OR SHIRE OF BROOME.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are on the scene.
- The fire was reported at 08:09 PM on 21 October 2018.
- DFES is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio or listen to news bulletins.
The next update to be provided by 11am tomorrow unless the situation changes.