The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
Please note changes under What Firefighters are Doing and Road Closures sections
Time of issue: 06:28 PM
Date of issue: 18 December 2018
Bushfire ADVICE for Brand Highway and Midlands Road in YARDARINO in the SHIRE OF IRWIN
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people travelling on Midlands Road or near Brand Highway between Midlands Road and Kailis Drive/Pye Road in YARDARINO in the SHIRE OF IRWIN.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started near the intersection of BRAND HWY and ELLERY RD in YARDARINO.
- It is burning south of Midlands Road, on the eastern side of Brand Highway.
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
- Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Read through your bushfire survival plan.
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
- The bushfire is moving slowly in a north easterly direction towards Midlands Road.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
- Brand Highway Closed in both directions from Shell Roadhouse (400 metres west of Pettit Road) to Kailis Drive/ Pye Road.
- Midlands Road is also closed Brand Highway to Tabletop Road.
Detour in place for light vehicles only via: Kailis Drive, George Street, Point Leander Drive and Moreton Terrace.
Detour in place for heavy vehicles only via: Eneabba Three Springs Road, Midlands Road, Mingenew-Mullewa Road, Depot Hill Road, Allanooka Springs Road, Nangetty-Walkway Road, Edward Road, and Rudds Gully Road.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au OR by contacting SHIRE OF IRWIN.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are strengthening containment lines.
- Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Bush Fire Service firefighters are attending.
Police, Main Roads, Shire of Irwin representatives, DFES staff and volunteers from across the region are also in attendance.
- The fire was reported at 12:15 PM on 18 December 2018.
- Currently there has been 200 hectares burnt.
- The cause of the fire is unknown.
- Shire of Irwin is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio or listen to news bulletins.
The next update to be provided by 11am tomorrow unless the situation changes.