The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
Please note changes under Bushfire Behaviour section. This alert remains at a Watch and Act level as conditions are expected to worsen this morning.
Time of issue: 05:46 AM
Date of issue: 14 November 2019
Bushfire WATCH AND ACT for northern part of GLENFIELD and southern part of DRUMMOND COVE in the CITY OF GREATER GERALDTON
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people bounded by Glenfield Beach Drive, Hillview Drive, Reef Boulevard and Chapman Road, including 440 Roadhouse in GLENFIELD and DRUMMOND COVE in the CITY OF GREATER GERALDTON.
- There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching in the area and conditions are changing.
- You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
- The fire started near the intersection of GLENFIELD BEACH DR and CHAPMAN RD in GLENFIELD.
- If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
- If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
- If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
- Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
- The bushfire is moving in a north westerly direction.
- It is contained but not controlled.
- Burning embers are likely to be blown around your home.
- There is alot of smoke in the area.
- This alert remains at a Watch and Act level as conditions are expected to worsen this morning.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
- Glenfield Beach Drive
- Hillview Drive
- Chapman Road - up to 440 Roadhouse near North West Coastal Highway
- Reef Boulevard
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au OR CITY OF GREATER GERALDTON.
Western Power has advised that power has been restored to homes in Drummond Cove.
For further details visit www.westernpower.com.au.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are patrolling the area and mopping up.
- 38 Career Fire and Rescue Service, Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Bush Fire Service, Parks and Wildlife Service firefighters are attending.
- The fire was reported at 12:38 PM on 13 November 2019.
- Currently there has been 20 hectares burnt.
- The cause of the fire is unknown.
- People are asked to report any suspicious behaviour to Police Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
- DFES is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio or listen to news bulletins.
Updates will be issued every two hours unless the situation changes.