The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
A Catastrophic Fire Danger Rating (FDR) is in place for tomorrow with very hot, dry and windy conditions expected. Due to current fires and fresh ignitions, accompanied by erratic fire behaviour, unstable fire weather conditions continue to force the Eyre Highway to be closed for a minimum of 5 days. People are asked to avoid the area, ensure they have enough food and water supplies and refer to Main Roads Travel Map to plan an alternate route. People are urged to stop taking back tracks and unsealed roads in an endeavour to avoid the road closures.
Time of issue: 07:33 PM
Date of issue: 01 January 2020
Bushfire ADVICE for southern parts of BURRA ROCK in the SHIRE OF COOLGARDIE
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people people in the southern parts of BURRA ROCK in the SHIRE OF COOLGARDIE.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started near the intersection of BURRA ROCK ROAD and CAVE HILL ROAD in VICTORIA ROCK.
WHAT TO DO:
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- The bushfire is moving in a westerly direction.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads and camping grounds have been closed including:
- Coolgardie-Esperance Highway between the Norseman townsite and Gibson Dalyup Road, Gibson.
- Coolgardie-Esperance Highway between Coolgardie and Norseman, including the Goldfields Highway (Kambalda turn-off), remains closed for the immediate future as it has been impacted by fire. Travellers should seek alternate routes.
- Eyre Highway between the Norseman townsite and Caiguna is closed due to the impact of fire and smoke across the road.If you are at Caiguna your best option is to return east and seek alternative travel and accommodation arrangements.
- Burra Rock Road between Cave Hill Road, Burra Rock Junction and Widgiemooltha.
- Caves Road and the Burra Rock Nature Reserve camping grounds are closed.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting travelmap.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting the SHIRE OF COOLGARDIE.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are monitoring the situation.
- The fire was reported at 08:00 AM on 29 December 2020.
- Currently there has been approximately 1,000 hectares hectares burnt.
- The cause of the fire is lightning.
- Shire of Coolgardie is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio, 6PR, or news bulletins.
During a power outage, your home phone, computer or other electronic devices connected to the NBN will not work. Include a battery powered radio in your emergency kit.
The next update to be provided by 11am tomorrow unless the situation changes.