The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
Eyre Highway and Coolgardie-Esperance Highway are closed and expected to remain closed over the coming days. People are asked to avoid the area, seek alternative routes and should ensure they have enough food and water supplies.
Time of issue: 11:04 AM
Date of issue: 01 January 2020
Bushfire ADVICE for SALMON GUMS and PEAK CHARLES NATIONAL PARK in NORTH CASCADE in SHIRE OF ESPERANCE
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people within SALMON GUMS and Peak Charles National Park in NORTH CASCADE in SHIRE OF ESPERANCE.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire is burning north of Lake King-Norseman Road.
WHAT TO DO:
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
- Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Read through your bushfire survival plan.
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- The bushfire is moving slowly in a south westerly direction.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
- Coolgardie-Esperance Highway between the Norseman townsite and Gibson Dalyup Road, Gibson, is closed to all northbound traffic. This closure is due to pressures on services in Norseman townsite.
- Coolgardie-Esperance Highway between Coolgardie and Norseman, including the Goldfields Highway (Kambalda turn-off), remains closed for the immediate future as it has been impacted by fire. Travellers should seek alternate routes.
- Eyre Highway between the Norseman townsite and Caiguna is closed due to the impact of fire and smoke across the road.
- Lake King-Norseman Road.
- Peak Charles Road.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting travelmap.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting the SHIRE OF ESPERANCE.
- Peak Charles National Park is closed
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are actively fighting the fire and strengthening containment lines.
- The fire was reported at 03:58 PM on 26 December 2019.
- Currently there has been 4,700 hectares burnt.
- DFES is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio, 6PR, or news bulletins.
During a power outage, your home phone, computer or other electronic devices connected to the NBN will not work. Include a battery powered radio in your emergency kit.
The next update will be provided by 4pm today unless the situation changes.