The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
Please note changes under ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS section
Time of issue: 04:54 PM
Date of issue: 11 August 2019
Bushfire ADVICE for GANTHEAUME POINT in SHIRE OF BROOME
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people in or near GANTHEAUME POINT in the SHIRE OF BROOME.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started near the intersection of GANTHEAUME POINT RD and GUBINGE RD in CABLE BEACH.
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
- Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Read through your bushfire survival plan.
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
The following roads have reopened:
- Gantheaume Point Road between Gubinge Road and Kavite Road
- Kavite Road between Port Drive and Gantheaume Point Road
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au OR SHIRE OF BROOME.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are on the scene.
- The fire was reported at 06:19 AM on 11 August 2019.
- DFES is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio or listen to news bulletins.
The next update to be provided by 11am tomorrow unless the situation changes.