The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
Please note changes under Bushfire Behaviour and What Firefighters Are Doing sections
Time of issue: 04:11 PM
Date of issue: 31 August 2020
Bushfire ADVICE for the north eastern parts of ROEBUCK in the Shire of BROOME
A bushfire ADVICE is in place for people travelling along Great Northern Highway, approximately 85 kilometres east of Broome, and surrounding areas in ROEBUCK in the Shire of BROOME.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
WHAT TO DO:
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- The bushfire is moving in a westerly direction.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Roads have not been closed.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting travelmap.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting the SHIRE OF DERBY-WEST KIMBERLEY.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are actively fighting the fire.
Pastoralists are also on the ground fighting the fire.
- The fire was reported at 09:24 AM on 30 August 2020.
- DFES is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio, 6PR, or news bulletins.
During a power outage, your home phone, computer or other electronic devices connected to the NBN will not work. Include a battery powered radio in your emergency kit.
The next update to be provided by 11am tomorrow unless the situation changes.