The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
Please note although this Alert has been downgraded to an Advice, road closures are still in place. People must obey the instructions of Emergency Services personnel.
Time of issue: 03:38 PM
Date of issue: 09 November 2019
Bushfire ADVICE for southern part of GNANGARA in CITY OF WANNEROO
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people in an area bounded by Lake Gnangara, Steel Road, Joyce Road, Sydney Road, Stoney Road, Badgerup Road and Gnangara Road in the southern part of GNANGARA in CITY OF WANNEROO.
- The alert level for this fire has been downgraded as the fire is now contained and under control.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started on SYDNEY RD in GNANGARA.
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
- Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Read through your bushfire survival plan.
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- It is contained and under control.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
- Sydney Road between Joyce Road and Stoney Road
The following roads have reopened:
- Stoney Road
- Gnangara Road
- Joyce Road
- Pine Crest Way
- Colonial Circle
- Lakelands Drive
An assessment is underway to ensure safety of the area before roads reopen.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au OR CITY OF WANNEROO.
- One caravan has been damaged
- Two vehicles have been lost
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are mopping up and monitoring.
- The fire was reported at 11:40 AM on 9 November 2019.
- Currently there has been 15 hectares burnt.
- The cause of the fire is unknown.
- DFES is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio, 6PR, or listen to news bulletins.
The next update to be provided by 11am tomorrow unless the situation changes.