The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
There is no change to the previous alert
Time of issue: 04:08 PM
Date of issue: 29 October 2019
Bushfire ADVICE for the communities of HAMLET GROVE, BUNGARUN, BIRDWOOD DOWNS and SAVANNAH HEIGHTS in SHIRE OF DERBY-WEST KIMBERLEY
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people in the communities of HAMLET GROVE, BUNGARUN, BIRDWOOD DOWNS and SAVANNAH HEIGHTS in SHIRE OF DERBY-WEST KIMBERLEY.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started north of the Bungarun community on BUNGARUN RD in DERBY.
- The fire is burning towards the marsh, away from the Hamlet Grove and Savannah Heights communities.
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
- Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Read through your bushfire survival plan.
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- The bushfire is moving slowly in a northerly direction.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
Although the fire has been contained and controlled in Hamlet Grove area, due to variable winds, the fire could change direction. People within this community should remain vigilant.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au or the SHIRE OF DERBY-WEST KIMBERLEY.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are actively fighting the fire, strengthening containment lines.
- Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Bush Fire Service firefighters are attending.
- The fire was reported at 02:44 PM on 23 October 2019.
- Currently there has been 10000 hectares burnt.
- Never fly a drone, model aircraft or multirotor near bushfires. Doing so poses a major safety risk to firefighting personnel.
- DFES is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio or listen to news bulletins.
The next update to be provided by 11am tomorrow unless the situation changes.