The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
This is a new alert
Time of issue: 10:54 AM
Date of issue: 10 September 2020
Bushfire ADVICE for people travelling in the vicinity of Great Northern Highway, 100 kilometers south of Port Hedland in in the TOWN OF PORT HEDLAND
A bushfire ADVICE is in place for people people travelling in the vicinity of Great Northern Highway, near the Wogina Minesite, 100 kilometers south of Port Hedland in in the TOWN OF PORT HEDLAND.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started near the intersection of GREAT NORTHERN HWY and YANDEYARRA RD in MARBLE BAR.
WHAT TO DO:
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- The bushfire is moving fast in a northerly direction.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
- Expect delays travelling along Great Northern Highway due to intermittent closures of Great Northern Highway
- Be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting travelmap.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting the TOWN OF PORT HEDLAND.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are on the scene.
- The fire was reported at 10:18 AM on 9 September 2020.
- DFES is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio, 6PR, or news bulletins.
During a power outage, your home phone, computer or other electronic devices connected to the NBN will not work. Include a battery powered radio in your emergency kit.
The next update will be provided by 4pm today unless the situation changes.