The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
Please note changes throughout
Time of issue: 10:46 AM
Date of issue: 28 November 2019
Bushfire ADVICE for parts of the SHIRES OF COOLGARDIE and DUNDAS
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people in KAMBALDA, BURRA ROCKS, VICTORIA ROCKS, MADOONIA DOWNS, WIDGIEMOOLTHA and the Coolgarlie-Esperance Highway in the SHIRES OF COOLGARDIE and DUNDAS.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started near the intersection of COOLGARDIE-ESPERANCE HWY and GOLDFIELDS HWY in WIDGIEMOOLTHA.
WHAT TO DO:
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
- Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Read through your bushfire survival plan.
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
BURRA ROCKS ROAD
VICTORIA ROCKS ROAD
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting the SHIRES OF COOLGARDIE and DUNDAS.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are strengthening containment lines, patrolling and back burning which may result in increased smoke activity in the area.
- The fire was reported at 02:49 PM on 19 November 2019.
- Currently there has been 20,310 hectares burnt.
- The cause of the fire is lightning.
- DFES is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
During a power outage, your home phone, computer or other electronic devices connected to the NBN will not work. Include a battery powered radio in your emergency kit.
The next update will be provided by 4pm today unless the situation changes.