The SES Volunteers Association of Western Australia Incorporated (SESVA)
(A prescribed Association for SES Volunteers in WA)
"helping those who help others in the community"
Welcome to the website of the State Emergency Service Volunteers Association of Western Australia Incorporated (SESVA). The SESVA was formed in the late 1980’s with the objective of providing a focus for representing the views of SES Volunteers on issues which affect them. The SESVA has developed the ability to strongly voice the opinion of the volunteers where, when necessary, to the benefit of all the Volunteers of the SES, where the action of a single Volunteer or small group would not be as effective. The SESVA represents SES volunteers on a number of committees and working groups and has regular meetings with DFES.
SESVA role is to represent the views of SES Volunteers to all levels of Government, DFES and other agencies on all matters affecting SES volunteers and the way in which we serve our communities.
SESVA Committee of Management
There is a Committee of Management to control the Association. The Management Committee consists of the following members:
Powers of the Management Committee
The Management Committee is the deliberative body in the Association with powers to make and direct policy, make, amend, or rescind the Constitution, and generally to take such actions as it considers necessary for the furtherance of the Association and its objects. The general management of the affairs of the Association is vested in the Management Committee.
An executive council, consisting of the President, Vice President, Secretary and any two committee members shall take care of the day to day affairs of the Association. The executive council may authorise payments on behalf of the Association.
Objects of the Association
- Be an independent and representative body of the volunteers of the State Emergency Service of Western Australia and the Volunteer Emergency Service
- Promote and communicate knowledge and information to and amongst the volunteers of the State Emergency Service of Western Australia
- Provide an effective voice for the volunteers of the State Emergency Service of Western Australia
- Operate a fund or trust for the benefit of volunteers of the State Emergency Service of Western Australia
Current SESVA Activities:
- Regular contact with DFES Executive to discuss strategic, policy and high level issues
- Monthly meeting with DFES and stakeholders managers to discuss operational issues
- Membership of subject matter groups, PPE, equipment, communications and vehicles.
- Co-partnering with DFES to organise the annual SES conference and awards night
- Attending AFAC conference
- Attending Local managers meetings
- SESVA website and facebook management
- Publishing SESVA Journal, calendar and diary
- Attending to local issues when requested
- SES Licence Plate Project
- SESVA is currently in discussion with SES Volunteer Associations throughout Australia to look at setting up a National SES Volunteer Association to give all SES Volunteers a national voice. Currently involved and agreed to set up is SA,VIC,ACT,NSW and WA with talks to be held with Tasmania and QLD who at this point do not have a Volunteer Association.
- Development of a strategic plan for the SES Volunteers Association
- A member of the new Emergency Services Volunteers welfare and support fund implementation team
- Member of the Inter-Agency Working Group (IWG) on the review of the Emergency Services Acts
- New SES Flag